Giving back where it began: Jerome Leong returns to inspire Solomon Islands athletes

After spending much of his childhood in Honiara, Australian Army Private Jerome Leong has returned to help create sporting opportunities for the next generation of Solomon Islanders.

Private Leong returned through the Australian Defence Force’s International Sports Program, not only as an Army dental assistant but also as a volleyball coach and mentor. For him, the visit was an opportunity to give back to the community that shaped his childhood.


Australian Army Private Jerome Leong during a ADF International Sports Program in the Solomon Islands.

Born in Sydney, Jerome moved to Honiara with his family when he was three years old and spent most of his childhood growing up in Chinatown. He attended local schools and, like many young Solomon Islanders at the time, was introduced to sport through the classroom.

While sport was a regular part of school life, opportunities to continue playing outside the classroom were limited.

“Sport was part of the school day, but it stopped when the bell rang,” Jerome said.

“I didn't really feel like I was missing out because I didn't know sport outside of school existed. I thought sport was something you did at school and that was it.”

Australian Army Private Jerome Leong plays volleyball during a ADF International Sports Program in the Solomon Islands.

Although he enjoyed volleyball, opportunities to play competitively, receive coaching or further develop his skills beyond school were rare.

At 11, Jerome moved back to Australia to continue his education. There, he discovered the broader opportunities sport could provide.

“My school had a volleyball team, and they took us away to competitions and tournaments. It was something completely new for me because I never had those opportunities growing up in Solomon Islands,” he said.

Years later, after joining the ADF, volleyball once again became part of his life. Through Defence sport, he continued to develop his skills before receiving an unexpected opportunity to return to Solomon Islands as a volleyball coach and mentor.

“When I found out there was an opportunity to come back, I was quite excited. I felt that I needed to come back and give back what I learned in Australia and hopefully share it with the people here in Solomon Islands,” he said.

Jerome quickly reconnected with his first language, helping bridge communication between the ADF team and local participants. Many had previously played only informal volleyball and were eager to learn skills that could help grow the sport in their communities.

The trip was also deeply personal for Jerome. Standing at Lawson Tama Stadium, near his childhood home, he reflected on how much had changed.

Organised volleyball, once difficult to access, now has dedicated courts, teams and regular competitions.

Australian Army Private Jerome Leong supervises Burns Creek SDA students playing volleyball.

“When I was growing up, opportunities like this simply didn’t exist. To come back now and see people playing, competing and wanting to learn more about the sport is something I never imagined,” he said.

He was also struck by the talent he saw, including young beach volleyball players training without a coach.

“Imagine where they could be with regular coaching and support. The talent is already there,” he said.

“It makes me happy that I’m able to be here and teach them. I’m able to go overseas, gain all this experience and knowledge, then come back and share it,” he said.

For Jerome, the experience was a reminder of the unique opportunities Defence provides.

“To return home, reconnect with family and help the next generation of athletes has been a really good feeling,” he said.

Jerome’s journey had come full circle. Once a young boy whose sporting experience ended at the school gate, he had returned as a Defence member, coach and mentor to give back to the community that raised him.

By sharing his passion for volleyball, Jerome is helping open doors for future generations of Solomon Islanders to pursue opportunities through sport and realise their potential.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Benjamin Afuga’s Journey as a Social Media Influencer

Wendy Kealau: Bringing Global Insights Home from China’s E-Commerce Frontier

๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฏ ๐—ฌ๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—ป๐—ด ๐—˜๐—ป๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ฝ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐˜‚๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—˜๐—ป๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ ๐—–๐˜‚๐˜€๐˜๐—ผ๐—บ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐—ฆ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐˜ƒ๐—ถ๐—ฐ๐—ฒ ๐—ฆ๐—ธ๐—ถ๐—น๐—น๐˜€ ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๐—”๐—ฃ๐—ง๐—–